On Day 1, depart La Paz on an early flight to Rurrenabaque where you will spend your first night. Get ready to start your adventure on Day 2 traveling by car through the lowlands of the Bolivian Amazon up to Santa Rosa while you observe a large variety of reptiles and wild life. On Day 3 canoe through the Pampas searching for eagles, toucans and sloths. Your adventure comes to an end on Day 4.
Day by Day Itinerary:
Day 1 - Flight from La Paz to Rurrenabaque
Take your transfer to La Paz airport so you can take an early flight to Rurrenabaque. Upon arrival you will be transfered to Rurrenabaque city center to your accommodation where you will spend the night.
Day 2 - Depart Rurrenabaque for the Amazon (L/D)
Start your adventure at 8:45 AM from Rurrenabaque. We will travel from Rurrenabaque to Santa Rosa. During the trip you will be able to see heron families, sloths and a lot of flora and fauna in the steaming lowlands of the Bolivian Amazon. At 12:00 PM, lunch will be served in Santa Rosa. Then you will board a motorized dugout canoe in Santa Rosa and cruise the Yacuma River during about 3 ½ hours. You will be able to observe a large variety of reptiles and amphibians, lagartos, turtles, alligators, toads, lizards. Mammals like night monkey, red howler, brown capuchin, black spider monkeys, capybaras, storks, kingfishers, falcons, hawks and eagles can also be found.
We arrive at our Eco-Lodge at dusk. Upon arrival, check in while coffee and herbal teas are served. Then we will go to observe a superb sunset of the Bolivian Amazon. A buffet dinner will be served upon return. Typical dinners include rice, lentils, pasta, salads, fresh vegetables, and bread. After dinner, we will discover the Pampas at night on a canoe trip, in search of alligators whose eyes shine at night (bring a flashlight). We can also appreciate some other nocturnal animals.
Day 3 - Activities in the Amazon & Return to Rurrenabaque (B/L)
At 7:00 AM, enjoy a delicious buffet breakfast before leaving at 8:00 AM for a canoe ride on the Yacuma River for a fishing trip. We will try our luck at sport fishing; catching carnivorous piranhas among other varieties of Amazon fish (most of which we will release back into the river--please note that this activity is seasonal and subject to change). Later we search for eagles, toucans and sloths. We can observe the lush tropical vegetation (flowers and plants) such as orchids (like the one called “Reina Victoria”), bibosis and more.
Then, we head back to the lodge for a buffet lunch that will be served before our departure back to Santa Rosa. After a 1 ½ hour boat ride along the Yacuma River, a car will bring us back to the town of Rurrenabaque, arriving at approximately 5:00 PM (depending on the conditions of the highway). Tonight we will sleep in a Hostel in Rurrenabaque, so you can enjoy a last evening with your new friends.
Day 4 - Flight back from Rurrenabaque to La Paz (B)
Today you will take your transfer to Rurrenabaque airport so you can take your flight back to La Paz. We hope to see you again soon!
Important: Since flights can be unreliable returning to La Paz, we recommend planning to leave La Paz at least two days after the trip ends in case flights from Rurrenabaque are delayed 24 hours.
- Wildlife viewing is subject to climatic conditions and the wild nature of the animals. We cannot guarantee wildlife viewing while you are in the Amazon since it depends on the animals. During wet season chances of seeing animals greatly reduces as the river is high and animals tend to spread out among the pampas. Please also note that the chance of sighting snakes/anacondas is always about 50%.
- This day to day itinerary is subject to change without prior notice according to climatic and river conditions.
- Bring enough cash with you before leaving La Paz since ATMs in Rurrenabaque are not reliable.
- MAKE SURE to bring enough Bolivianos with you, as many places along the way do not accept US dollars.
- Accommodations are quite basic, so we advise bringing along a sleeping bag for that extra level of comfort.
- RECOMMENDATION ON WHAT TO BRING: Clothing suitable for humid/tropical weather & for trekking through bushes & traveling by canoe, Long sleeved cotton shirts (for sun and mosquitoes), Shorts & Cotton pants, Hiking boots, Sneakers (rubber shoes for boat trips), Light windbreaker, Bathing suit, Hat or cap, Camera, Pocket knife, Sun glasses, Flashlight with batteries, Binoculars, Backpack, Towel, Insect Repellent (90-100% DEET), Vitamin “B” to repel mosquitoes, Copy of vaccination record for yellow fever and tetanus (Malaria is not present), Imodium or other over the counter diarrhea medicine.